Monday, July 24, 2006


So, way late, I've discovered these wonderful lessons by John Kricfalusi, of Ren and Stimpy fame! They use the Bible of animation, Preston Blair's Animation...the first edition, where he used MGM and Disney characters he'd drawn, rather than the generic characters he was required to use for the second edition. These lessons are invaluable, and though I'm starting late, I'm going to follow them anyway. I'm afraid my progress may be painfully slow, but I want a record of it, so...here's the first night of me giving these lessons a try. I've combined lessons 1 and 2 with lesson 3 for the sake of catching up, so I'll be checking my proportions in PSP as I go. Sorry. No Photoshop here yet. Hopefully, this'll keep me more accurate from the beginning. Since I'm pathetically bad at copying professional drawings...




For this first attempt, the only thing I felt good about was that the head was almost perfectly rounded. Well...it's a start. I'm not nearly as good as most of the students in this course, I fear...not that I have any intention of becoming a professional animator, but I'd like to at least not be a crap artist anymore.


This second attempt makes me want to pull my hair out. I fixed some things, failed to fix others, and wound up creating brand NEW problems. The problems I've listed on the image, but the good things are:

-The left ear and left eye are virtually perfect. Left ear needs a slightly more rounded top, but the size is perfect.

-The size of the mouth area is right, as is the height of the eye area.

-the length of the smile is perfect.

-The horizontal axis is a little off, but the vertical axis is correct. Yay for me.



I feel so much better about this attempt. No, it's not perfect yet, but it's much, much closer than the first two! The placement of the axes was correct, the sizes are almost all right, the muzzle is mostly just fine, and the smile is perfect. On the downside, the ears are noticeably too big, if placed correctly, and the nose, eyes, and eyebrows have all migrated too low. Still...this is good enough for me, for now. I will try the little bear again at the end of the first page of the lesson, and see if my observational skills have improved enough to allow me to make a more perfect copy.

For tomorrow, my goal is to draw, check, and perfect half of the "egg heads." That could be quite a bit of drawing, so I may have to modify it as time allows, but I'll get done with as much as I possibly can. I hope to get faster as I go and learn how to copy more accurately the first time. Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home